After a long sewing hiatus, I happily returned to it this past week. It was quite pathetic not to spend my weekend outdoor when the weather was so so gorgeous, blue sky, balmy weather and all. Luckily, Mr. Su dragged me out for a quick hike at the Rancho San Antonio on saturday morning. I was pumped up to return to Lady Grey after seeing this version by Mo
She looks about my size, albeit taller and the coat is so lovely on her. the right proportion all around, no? That mustard yellow is just so adorable.
So anyway, here is my Lady Grey on sunday afternoon
Every step went quite smoothly. I love padstitching, it was so relaxing and I got better as a I go along. A neat seamstress I am not, I kept telling myself to slow down and not to rush. The scariest step was setting in sleeves but even that went so smoothly thanks to Gertie’s tutorial. I absolutely detest sewing two rows loosely and gather the sleeve cap to ease it, her method of using a bias interface is totally easy and mess-free. After I set in sleeves, the pieces started to look a lot like coat as shown in the photo above.
After taking that picture, I continued with tailoring the collar and assembling lining. If I sew as diligently as I was this coming week, I should have a coat to wear by the end of the week, hooray…
I am also quite productive with my knitting. Beatnik is moving along as planned, I now have about 5″ from cast on. The cable pattern is so fun, not a single boring moment.
Not too crazy about the color though. The camel looks quite dirty and so not radiant. I am thinking about dyeing it to purple once i am done. But what if dyeing shrinks this sweater too much? gasp and fingers crossed.
Phew, that’s a lot of crafting at the expense of a neglected husband, two loads of dirty laundry and a house that look a lot like a capsized boat. Let me close by sharing a few things that caught my eyes recently
– Sarai from Colette Pattern is hosting a Spring Challenge, a 10-week challenge for creating a mini wardrobe based on your favorite spring color. I am tempted to join but oh what a commitment because let’s not kid around here, Lady Grey is still a WIP after 3 months.
– Jessica has an awesome tutorial on creating storyboards, a perfect tool to help plan the Spring Challenge
– Make a pretty bow belt with this tutorial
– Simple pot-holder tutorial from Whip Up
– Replacing coat lining tutorial from Lindsay Sews
– Knitting two-sleeves at once tutorial from the Sweatshop of love
– Awesome re-purposing on Pomatomus sock design into a shrug