I was not a very crafty person. In fact, I found crafting so boring that my mom, who was a seamstress, often had to take over my school craft projects to save me from flunking the craft class. When I was dating my husband, he urged me to get a hobby just so I did not just sit on my ass watching bad TVs whenever I was idle.
Fall of last year, my friend, Jing, told me that she took up sewing to sew her Burning Man costumes. I thought to myself, that sounds fun. I immediately googled fabric shops in my area and discovered Bobbins Nest Studio. This cute shop not only enticed me to sew but also to knit. I signed up for a knitting class immediately. A few months later, I signed up for a sewing class. I’ve been knitting and sewing like crazy since then.
2009 is my first full crafting year and these are what I churn out
– Basic sewing skills: working with commercial patterns, basic seaming/stitching, zipper installation, garment constructions, basic lining, basic darts.
– Basic knitting skills: increase, decrease, short-row, seaming, garment constructions, socks constructions
These are what I want to achieve in 2010
1. Improve fitting skills and pattern customization
2. Convert flat pattern to in-the-round knitting pattern
3. Advance knitting techniques: fair isle, different finishing techniques, more garment constructions
4. Advance sewing techniques: pockets, lining, piping, set-in sleeves, collar attachment, invisible zipper, sewing with non-cotton fabrics and simple sloper drafting.
5. Make at least one quilt
Goodbye 2009 and I am excited to welcome 2010. Hope it will be a great year for you too in terms of career, crafting, relationship and health.